- 1. P-47D "Malcolm hood". Suggested kit: Monogram P47D.
The drawing depicts the cockpit area of "Silver Lady" serial number 42-26044 coded HV-Z of 61 Fighter Squadron, 56 Fighter Group.
Suggested reference: A photo appears in Air Classic, Jan. 1973.
- 2. Bf 109F. Suggested kit: Airfix Bf109F.
This canopy is applicable
to early F-series aircraft that lacked the bolted on armourglass windscreen
of the F-4 onwards.
Suggested reference: Squadron Signal in Action No. 57.
- 3. Bf 109G "Erla Haube". Suggested kit: Otaki/Arii Bf 109G.
Note the attachment
points for the pilot's head armour.
- 4. P-47D "Razorback" canopy. Suggested kit: Monogram P-47D.
The drawing shows the
canopy in open position. Notice the "sit" of the rear section in relation
to the fuselage.
Suggested reference: P-47 in Action No.67 (Squadron/Signal).
- 5. Spitfire PR IV. Suggested kit: Airfix Mk.V.
Some kitset modifications
will be needed to build this version, including the deeper chin fairing, camera
installation and removal of all guns. Some filling will be required at the
- 6. Fw 190 "blown" canopy. Suggested kits: Otaki Fw 190A-8,
Monogram Fw 190A-5.
Some trimming of
the lower windscreen will be needed to fit the Monogram kit. The fairing behind
the head armour will need to be fabricated from scrap card.
Suggested references: Monogram Close-Ups No. 8 (Fw 190D) and 10 (Fw
- 7. P-51D "Dallas" canopy. Suggested kit: Monogram P-51D.
Cut the canopy runners,
etc, off the kit rear section and fit to the Clear-Vax replacement.
Suggested reference: P-51 In Color (Squadron/Signal).
- 8. P-51D standard canopy.
As for canopy No.7.
- 9. F4U-1A/D Corsair. Suggested kit: Otaki/Arii F4/U-1A.
The drawing depicts
the F4U-1A canopy. Note the extra frameline running along the top of the sliding
Suggested reference: Corsair In Color (Squadron/Signal).
- 10. Hawker Hurricane. Suggested kit: Airfix Mk.I.
The drawing shows
the canopy in open position.
Suggested references: Hurricane at War (Ian Allan); Scale Models, Aircraft of the Battle of Britain.
- 11. Spitfire Mks V (late) /VI/VII/VIII/IX/XII/XIV/21. Suggested kit: Airfix Mk.V.
Some trimming will be required at the windscreen/fuselage join to fit other
- 12. Spitfire prototype/early production canopy. Suggested kit:
The sideview shows
the prototype canopy in its original form. The scrap drawing shows the altered
windscreen fitted later on the prototype and to the first few production Spitfires.
Suggested references: 'The Spitfire Story', Alfred Price (AAP); Spitfire
- Classic Aircraft and How to Model Them (PSL); Spitfire in Action No.39 (Squadron/Signal).