- 1. Junkers Ju 88A-5. Suggested kit: Revell/Monogram Promodeler Ju 88A-4.
The main canopy represents the canopy used by most Ju 88A-5 aircraft. This part directly replaces the kit items. From 0.02 mm (10 thou) plastic card, cut a bulkhead as shown above* and fit it inside the canopy with PVA (white) glue, before fitting the canopy to the fuselage. The bulkhead patterns are for use with all the replacement main canopies in this set. Also included is and early-style gondola rear and lower nose glass with corrected side windows. Fit these parts in conjunction with the kit nose cap and gondola parts. In order to complete this conversion, the engines will need to be modified by removing the fairings from the lower cowlings (shown dotted in diagram above).
* Note: the bulkhead drawing probably won't print the at right size from the web page. However, the profile given in the printed instructions with the set can be glued temporarily on to plastic card then cut around to give the right shape.
- 2. Junkers Ju 88A-4. Suggested kit: Revell/Monogram Promodeler Ju 88A-4.
The main canopy directly replaces the kit item. Note that the rear section needs some internal framing added. This framing is shown on both the Ju 88A-4 and Ju 88C drawings. Note how the right framing differs from the left. we have not included the round frame for the front machine gun mounting. This is so that the canopy can also be modelled as a Ju 88C with an unarmoured windscreen. It is a simple matter to frame and drill out this position using the Ju 88A-5 canopy as a guide. Also included is a lower nose glass with corrected side windows. Use this part in conjunction with the kit nose cap and gondola ports. It can also be used to model those aircraft that had the gondola deleted.
- 3. Ju 88C (with armourglass windscreen and twin rear machine guns). Suggested kit: Dragon or Promodeler Ju 88C.
Large numbers of Ju 88C&R fighters used this style of canopy. It also requires the addition of internal rear framing, as for the Ju 88A-4 canopy.
- 4. Ju 88C (with armourglass windscreen and single rear machine gun). Suggested
kit: Dragon or Promodeler Ju 88C.
This canopy was used by Ju 88C nightfighters. The Clear-Vax canopy directly replaces the kit parts.
- 5. Ju 188A/D. Suggested kit: Dragon Ju 188A.
The drawing shows a Ju 188D. The rear of the main canopy has been reshaped to the Ju 188A/D configuration (the kit parts are suitable for the Ju 188E/F only). Note that some Ju 188 aircraft had the top turret deleted, so the rear section is set up in this condition. If you use the top turret, simply cut out the circular recess and install the turret. The turret glass has been supplied with an insert that closes off the gun traverse slot. To fit the MG 151 cannon, just cut out enough material to accommodate the gun mantlet and barrel. The nose section has the cannon aperture sealed over, as most Ju 188D aircraft had this weapon deleted. A new lower part has been included. This is the type fitted to all Ju 188D&F reconnaissance aircraft. Some aircraft had the framing on the upper left side the same as the right side, others were as shown in the drawing. Check your references before adding the framing.
JU 88 REFERENCES
The following titles are recommended:
- Aero Detail No.20
- Model Art No.444
- Junkers Ju 88 In Action, Part 1, No.85 (Squadron/Signal)
- Junkers Ju 88 In Action, Part 2, No.113 (Squadron/Signal)
- Junkers Bombers. Warbirds Illustrated No.43 (Arms & Armour Press)
- Replic 13, 38, 80.