- 1. Spitfire prototype/early Mk.I. Suggested
kit: Tamiya Mk.I
The drawing on the left shows the prototype canopy
in open position. The dotted line below the windscreen shows the actual join
line which will need to be filled in. The second rawing shows the dimmer screen
fitting as introduced on the prototype and some very early Mk.I Spitfires.
Refer also to the drawing at the top of the page. There are many detail changes
which need to be made to the kit in order to accurately represent these early
aircraft. Careful study of your references is necessary.
- 2. Early Mk.I Spitfire with bulged hood.
Suggested kit: Tamiya Mk.I.
The Clear-Vax canopy directly replaces the kit parts.
- 3. Standard Mk.I/II, early Mk.V. Suggested
kits: Tamiya Mk.I and Mk.V.
canopy is sectioned for display in the open position.
- 4. High Speed Spitfire. Suggested kit:
This version requires modifications to the kit wingtips, a deeper right underwing radiator, and a fixed-pitch 4-bladed propeller, in addition to the Clear-Vax canopy. Careful study of photographs will provide the necessary information.
- 5. Standard Spitfire PR canopy. Suggested
kit: Tamiya Mk.I.
The Clear-Vax canopy directly replaces the kit item. Modifications to the
kit include removing all armament, and adding camera windows and various add-ons
pertaining to each variant. Once again, study of references is essential.
- 6. Spitfire PR Ig (PR.VII). Suggested kit:
This canopy fits in a similar fashion to the standard type.
- 7. Spitfire Mk.VI. Suggested kit: Tamiya
This canopy differs from the standard type in the following areas: clear-vision
panel on left of windscreen, flatter curve to top of canopy, extra horizontal
frame on rear section, no canopy rails or entry door. Other modifications
to the kit include extended wingtips, 4-bladed propeller, and cabin compressor
- 8. Spitfire Mk.VII. Suggested kit:
ICM Spitfire Mk.VIII.
- The windscreen and sliding canopy directly replace the kit items. Two rear
parts are provided, marked A & B on the sheet. Using the drawing on the
right as a guide, cut away the shaded area marked X from the kit fuselage
halves. Part A matches the kit fuselage section, which is too pinched at the
top. It is best used if the canopy is displayed open. Part B is correct in
section but the fuselage needs a 0.5 mm wedge inserted, as marked Y on the
drawing, in order to fit neatly. Note that late-model Mk.VII Spitfires had
external canopy rails as in the drawing on the left. This canopy was also
used on the Spitfire PR Mk.X.
- 9. Spitfire Mk.V late style. Suggested
kit: Tamiya Mk.Vb.
- The Clear-Vax canopy is sectioned for display in the open position.
- 10. Spitfire Mk.VIII/Mk.IX. Suggested kits:
ICM Mks. VIII & IX.
- The fixed rear of the canopy has been altered to a more accurate section.
In order to fit this piece, cut away the kit fuselage down to the cockpit
sill marked X; insert a 0.5 mm wedge between the fuselage halves as marked
Y in the drawingfor 8 above.
- 11. Spitfire Mk.IX/PR IX. Suggested kit:
Clear-Vax canopies are separated for display in the open position. The front
section marked 11a is designed for use on the ICM Spitfire VIII/IX kitsets.
As with the earlier PR versions, various modifications need to be made to
the base kit, including a deeper lower nose, camera ports, and removal of
- 12. Spitfire Mk.XIVc. Suggested kit:
- This canopy is designed for display in the open position. The rear and sliding sections have been corrected in length for better accuracy. Note that the rear bulkhead (part D10) will need to be moved forward to line up with the front of the fixed rear section.
- 13. Spitfire Mk.XIVe. Suggested kit:
- This canopy is designed for display in the open position.
- 14. Spitfire Mk.22/24. Suggested kit:
Airfix Spitfire 22/24.
- The Clear-Vax canopy directly replaces the kit item. This canopy was also used on the Seafire 17.
- 15. Seafire Mk.47 early type. Suggested
kit: Airfix Seafire 47.
This canopy is designed for display in the open position.
- 16. Seafire Mk.47 late type. Suggested
kit: Airfix Seafire 47.
The Clear-Vax canopy is sectioned for display in the open position.
There are many titles available. The most modeller-friendly are:
- Modellers Datafile 3 (SAM Publications)
- 'Spitfire: The History', Morgan & Shacklady (Key)
- Aerodetail 8 & 27
- Modelart No.387.
Also recommended are:
- The Spitfire Story, Price (PRC)
- Replic Nos 57, 67, 68 & 91
- Spitfire in Action 39 (Squadron/Signal).